Monday, February 22, 2010

Episode 1491

Aired: Monday March 12, 1972

In a replay of Friday's close, Vicky fingers the jeweled necklace in the parallel time world where Burke is still alive. Suddenly it unclasps and falls into her lap. She bends her head down to pick it up, and when she lifts her head, she's standing in the dark and empty west wing room of her own time. "Oh no!" she shouts. "Burke! Burke! Where are you!" Carolyn runs in and shouts "Vicky! Get out of there! Get out of there!" Vicky says "Carolyn! No, I can't! I've been there! I've been to that other world! I've talked to Burke!" Carolyn is amazed. "You have?" Vicky holds the necklace and then opens her hand to see Burke's crumpled handkerchief. "He gave me this....look! It has his initials on it!" Carolyn looks it over and asks "How did it all happen? How did you get back here?" Vicky says "I'm not quite sure...but I do know one thing. I've got to get back there. I know that now. I've got to get back there any way I can!"

After the titles, Vicky looks around the empty room and tells Carolyn how different it was in the other time. Carolyn asks Vicky what Burke was like and how he reacted to seeing her. Vicky thinks a moment and answers "He was...surprised to see me. I'd....been gone for some time in that other world." Carolyn says "You were only gone a few minutes here. I heard you come down the hallway and when I opened the door, this room was empty. I turned away for a second and turned back, and heard you shouting." Vicky is mystified. "Only a few minutes? I was there longer than that..." Carolyn says it doesn't matter and tries to drag Vicky out of the room. "We've got to get out of here before it changes again!" Vicky repeats that she has to get back there as the two get into the hallway and Carolyn shuts the door. Vicky tells Carolyn that "Burke lost me in that other world, and he's miserable. Even after everything that's happened to me, seeing him again....it brought everything back. He still needs me....I feel like I belong with him." Carolyn tells her that she belongs "in this world. If Professor Stokes is right, moving between different times can be very dangerous!" Vicky says it can't be too dangerous if she's moved there and come back again. "I can't help feeling that I belong with Burke," she adds. Carolyn says "And what about mother? How would she feel if you went away again, now that she finally admitted who you are? She and Alan will be back from Europe next week. What am I supposed to tell them if you've vanished into some other world?" Vicky has no answer, and only looks at Burke's handkerchief in her hand.

David is looking at Quentin's portrait in the attic room as we hear Quentin sigh. "It wasn't easy for me to tell you, David," Quentin says. "But it wasn't easy for me to keep it from you either." David looks at the title plate and reads "Quentin Collins, 1897... there's only one of you...the same one that...that..." Quentin faces David. "Not really the same one, David. Barnabas and Julia altered the past. I have no connection to that angry spirit you found in the west wing. I don't know how I ever could have become such a thing. Who knows what happens to our souls once we die, David? How much of ourselves really survives? If my last hours were filled with anger and jealousy and heartbreak, did I carry those emotions with me throughout an eternity that no longer exists? I don't know. But it all changed." David asks "So Barnabas and Julia know?" Quentin says "Yes. Your father and your Aunt Elizabeth don't, and I'd prefer to keep it that way." David snickers. "My father would never ever believe it, and Aunt Elizabeth, well.... even if she did know, she'd probably never say anything about it. She's like that with secrets. I'm never sure what she knows and what she doesn't." David thinks a moment and says "I'm not afraid of you, Quentin. I know you couldn't do the things your ghost once did. You must be a different person than you were back then, especially after all these years." Quentin looks at the image of his true self in the portrait before covering it with the cloth. "I've had a long time to think about how the kind of person I once was led to my strange fate. David says "Petofi must have been pretty angry that he didn't get to complete his plan and live forever in your body. No wonder he came back here and tried to finish the job. It must be amazing to live like you. You'll get to see all sorts of things in the future that the rest of us never will." Quentin nods, but says "Sometimes I'm not so sure it's worth it, David. Seeing everyone else grow old around you while you don't can be very lonely. I've always been afraid to get close to people, knowing that. And though this portrait keeps me going, I still have that infernal curse inside me." David thinks a moment and then says "...and your sons..." Quentin tells David he blames himself for Chris Jenning's "tortures," but David says that there might be an answer in some of the books he's been reading on the supernatural. Quentin says he hopes so. David says "You could never have other children without passing on that curse, huh?" Quentin says no, he can't. "Let's get out of here and away from this portrait already." David says okay, but then stops Quentin and says "Tell me about my grandfather." Quentin smiles.

Angelique is sneaking around the outside of Brian's lab at Rose Cottage. A light goes on, and she hides off to the side of a window. Brian, inside, gathers his coat and then exits the house, not noticing Angelique, who shortly opens the door and enters once Brian is gone. She looks around the living room a moment, and then heads towards the back of the house. She enters the lab with the empty cage that once held Chris. She looks around at some of his equipment, and we hear her think "His secret must be here somewhere.... I must be sure of the method he uses to transform himself...." She moves a chair and is startled by a squeaking rat. She shivers at its sight and turns to leave, then suddenly stops and forms a knowing sneer. She turns around and says "How appropriate a choice for you, Brian. Perhaps your true self has finally risen to the surface." From where the rat was now stands a chuckling Brian Miller. "Always so complimentary, my dear," he says. "And what of your true self? Did you only come here to steal my secrets or for another reason?" Angelique snarls "You are completely deluded about yourself." Brian snaps "I'm not deluded about you, my dear, or what you're after. You're interested in the same thing I am, immortality." Angelique smiles and says that her powers guarantee her the very thing Brian pursues. Brian replies "And Barnabas? You once gave him immortality as well, though not exactly the form that most would prefer." Angelique tells Brian he knows "nothing" but Brian answers "You are so wrong, my dear. I know much more than you think. I also know that your rival Josette is once again a very strong threat to you, no matter what you believe about Barnabas Collins." Angelique angrily says that "Barnabas will never leave me..." Brian says "Or what? What will you do to him this time if he does? Will it be something to get him back, or something simply to punish him, as before?" Angelique snaps "Perhaps I'll punish you instead!" Brian says "If you wish, you may try. But I think you may regret the higher power you'd face as a consequence." Angelique wonders what he means.

At Collinwood, Vicky is on the telephone with Stokes, asking him about her experience. She promises him she won't do anything until he can do more research. She hangs up and looks out the window, thinking. We hear her thinking "Poor Burke....all alone in an identical Collinwood, brooding over all the death and destruction that took place here.... a horrible world, yet so close to this one...." The front door opens and Barnabas walks in. Vicky continues to look out the window and doesn't notice him as he enters the drawing room. "Vicky..." he says with a smile. She turns and sees him, and looks startled. "I was looking for Quentin...but I'm so glad I found you," he says, taking a step her way. She takes a step back and gasps. Barnabas looks very confused. "Vicky...what's wrong?" he asks.