Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Episode 1492

Aired: Tuesday March 13, 1972

After a replay of Monday's close and the titles, Barnabas wonders why Vicky is afraid of him, and he says "Vicky, what's the matter?" She turns away from him and says nothing, but he says he can tell something is wrong. "It has nothing to do with Brian Miller, does it?" he asks. Confused, she says "No, what is it about Brian Miller that you..." Barnabas says "It's better you don't know, Vicky. I only came here to talk to Quentin about it. Suffice to say that it's better not to involve you at all with Miller. It could be dangerous, and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you." Vicky begins to tear up a bit as Barnabas adds "I could never allow you to be hurt in any way." Vicky bursts out that she's sorry she reacted the way she did when Barnabas entered the room, and Barnabas asks again what's wrong. She tells him "A room up in the west wing... something is happening there, something I can't quite explain. Barnabas, I found myself in a parallel world for a short time." Barnabas gasps. "You went into another world, and came back?" Vicky nods, and says "It was strange.... one moment I was standing in an empty room, and the next thing I knew I was in a different world, one that I had only seen before." Barnabas says "It can be very dangerous. Professor Stokes once told me how other bands of times often contain our counterparts, and if you had met your own counterpart in that world, well...it could be quite dangerous." Vicky answers "There was no chance of that happening, Barnabas. I found out all about myself in that other world." Barnabas (as a change of pace) says "I don't understand." Vicky closes the drawing room doors. "Burke Devlin is alive in that other world, Barnabas, in another Collinwood. He owns it, owns it all." Barnabas remembers. "Devlin....alive in another band of time..." He turns to Vicky. "You.... had strong feelings for him in this world. Did you talk to him? Was his counterpart similar to the Burke you once knew?' Vicky says "Yes, he seemed almost exactly like the Burke I knew...only colored by his memories of what had happened to me in that world.... and of you." Barnabas says "Me? I had a counterpart in that other world? How would that be possible?" Vicky answers "Because in that world, you were very different despite a similar fate.... and you were responsible for the deaths of Carolyn, Roger and me." Barnabas is devastated to hear this.

Barnabas sits in deep thought as Vicky finishes relating the story she heard from Burke in parallel time. "...and then I found myself back here. That must be why you startled me when you came in...I couldn't help but think of what I had heard of in that other world...." Barnabas says "I don't blame you," sadly. "To think of my counterpart, so similar to me, doing all that evil.... before being destroyed by Burke....and a doctor Julian Hoffman....I don't blame you at all for despising that." Vicky pleads "But it wasn't you! It was a different Barnabas Collins, in a different time." Barnabas says "I wonder how different? I once had all that evil raging within my soul, from a curse beyond my control. Or was it beyond my control? Sometimes I shudder to think of the answer to that." Vicky answers "Barnabas, you can't blame yourself here in this time. None of what I told you happened here, none of it your responsibility. Like you said, our counterparts are counterparts because of the different choices they made. You didn't make the choices of that other evil Barnabas Collins. For whatever reason, those choices weren't made." Barnabas looks out the window. "For whatever reason? There are always reasons, Vicky. And from what you've told me about the differences between that world and this one, a very obvious reason for the path I chose in this life back towards humanity becomes all the more obvious." We dissolve to Julia working on Chris' blood along with Lori. Julia takes some and puts it on a microscope slide. Julia tells Lori that she's identifying strange elements in Chris' blood, but has no idea how they are being produced or how to get rid of them. Chris enters, and hears this, and begins to fret about the full moon coming up. Lori tells him that she'll have to keep him confined as they continue their research. Chris is convinced the only "cure for the curse is my death." Julia says there must be an answer, ands Chris tells her that "Curses passed down through the generations can't be cured by science. There's nothing scientific about them." Lori says that she refuses to believe that.

Barnabas leaves Collinwood after saying goodbye to Vicky, and begins to walk back to the old house. As he walks, we hear him thinking. "Another timeband where I gave into my demons... it's all too horrible to contemplate! What if things had gone differently here? Would the same things have happened? Would I really have destroyed so much and so many?" He gets closer to the old house as his thoughts continue. "It was only a matter of chance that it didn't happen as such. What if I had killed Maggie on the beach? What if it was only Woodard and Devlin who had pursued me instead of..." He sees a light on the window and gets curious. Barnabas enters the house and calls "Angelique? I thought you had gone out..." but as he turns the corner, Maggie is there. "Oh, Maggie. This is an odd hour for you to be here, Sarah is asleep..." Maggie walks straight over to Barnabas and says "I came here for you.... you know who I really am..." She tries to embrace him, but Barnabas says "No! It cannot be! Don't you understand? You have to be Maggie Evans!" Angry, Maggie says "You cannot spurn my love, not after all these centuries!" Barnabas turns away and says "I must! " Then, after a moment of thought, Barnabas turns to her and says "I know who sent you here to taunt me. Maggie, you must fight it! You must fight Brian Miller's control over you!" Maggie says "No one controls me.... except your heart....I am your Josette." Barnabas turns away again and weakly says "No... Josette is gone, gone forever..." Maggie turns him around and faces him. "Look at me, Barnabas. Who do you see? Look into my eyes and tell me who do you see?" Barnabas shudders and answers "Josette...." Maggie grabs him and kisses him passionately, and at that moment, Angelique walks in and gasps at the sight.

Angelique shouts "Barnabas!" and shocks him into pushing Maggie away. Maggie sees Angelique and begins to laugh. Barnabas pleads "She is possessed! She is under Miller's control!" Angelique scolds "Do you take me for a fool? I've been in this position far too many times, Barnabas! I won't allow you to lie to me!" Barnabas says "It is no lie! I found her here, to my surprise. She approached me! I tried to purge the possession out of her..." Angelique says "Your method of exorcism is quite innovative!" Maggie continues to laugh and then says "You are a fool, handmaiden! Why do you think he would even consider you?" Angelique scowls at Maggie and takes a step in her direction. "I don't care who's body you occupy, I will destroy your spirit..." Barnabas steps between them and shouts "No! Don't you see what is happening? Miller is using Maggie to drive us apart!" Angelique struggles, saying "I don't care! Get her out of here! Get her out of here before I destroy her with my bare hands!" Maggie sneers and casually walks out of the house. Angelique looks at Barnabas, furious. "Why do you insist on protecting her? Why else except that you still want your precious Josette?" Barnabas says "No. That isn't it... it's much more complicated than that." Angelique pulls away from him as he approaches her. "It's Maggie Evans who I care about. She's the one that I owe so much for what happened in the past. I know all too well what could have happened here." Angelique snaps "It didn't happen! How can you punish yourself and punish me for things that never happened?" Barnabas answers "They did happen, in another band of time! Vicky has been there, she told me. A band of time where I destroyed nearly everyone here I care about, and where I, too, died because of it. Don't you understand? I must save Maggie from being used by Brian Miller! Even if it means....getting rid of him permanently." Angelique says "You might find that difficult, Barnabas. He's more powerful than either of us imagined." Barnabas thinks that over.