Thursday, March 4, 2010

Episode 1499

Aired: Thursday March 22, 1972

After a replay of Wednesday's close, we get to see why Liz is gasping - she looks inside the room and sees the aged Jamison (Keith Prentice) talking to young Liz (Alexandra Moltke). Young Liz gushes and thanks her father for his blessing in her marriage to Alan Slater. Jamison says he's got high hopes for the young man, "given he keeps his promise to complete his medical studies." As Jamison takes a step leaning on his cane. "Perhaps if he had been there in the Great War, I'd still be able to run the mile, eh?" Outside, modern day Liz can only say "Father.... how can you still be alive in there?"

After the titles, we are in Burke's world, where Vicky looks at her own portrait waiting for him. He enters the room and says he's ready to go. She sees that he only has one small bag to carry with him, and asks him what he needed to do about his business before leaving. "A problem that had a simple solution, actually. I just sold everything," he says. Vicky asks him if the bag is stuffed with cash. Burke laughs. "No, the amount of cash would be far too bulky. I converted it all into something small, easily transported and extremely valuable." He opens the bag and Vicky is stunned to see the amount of diamonds it contains. "I'll sell them when we get you your world, to see what sort of businesses I can restart." Vicky says she's never seen so many diamonds in her life. Burke turns her to face him and reaches into his pocket. "Tell me what you think of this one," he says as he puts a ring on her finger with a large diamond on it. Vicky tells Burke tearfully that she loves it, and he asks her to marry him. "Oh yes, Burke! Oh yes!" she says as she grabs onto him. "Don't let go of me Vicky," he says. "Hold onto me and undo that necklace. It's time to go." She smiles as Burke picks up the bag. She holds Burke's hand with one hand and undoes the necklace with the other. It drops to the floor, and suddenly she and Burke are standing in the dark empty room of Vicky's time. Burke looks around in amazement. "That's fantastic! The entire room just....changed!" "Of course it did, Mr. Devlin," says a smiling Harrison, who is also standing in the room. Burke turns to him and says "Who are you? We haven't met." Harrison answers "No, we haven't, I'm sorry. I'm Harrison Collins. I helped Vicky in knowing how to, well, use this room, shall we say?" Vicky says "Harrison! I didn't know what happened when I came back here without you!" Harrison says "A small mistake, but no matter. We are all here now." Burke says "And I'll stay here? I won't suddenly pop back?" Harrison says "Not unless you want to. You'd need to use that necklace, though I intend to close off the pathway forever. I'm assuming that's not a problem?" Burke puts his arm around Vicky and says "No problem at all." Suddenly, we hear Liz gasping outside and a thud. Vicky, Harrison and Burke run into the hall and find Liz has fainted in front of the other room. Vicky says "She's fainted! Harrison, get some water!" Harrison looks into the room and says "She fainted from seeing this.... from deep inside her own thoughts..." He runs off as Burke looks into the room and sees Jamison and the young Liz inside and is amazed.

Carolyn rushes to Liz's side and says that she heard the noise. Vicky says she's only fainted and should be all right. Burke looks at Carolyn and smiles a big smile. "Burke!" she says, giving him a big hug. "Vicky was right! She could bring you here! Oh, I'm so happy to see you!" Burke says "Not as happy as I am to see you!" Harrison returns with a towel and some water and begins to dab Liz' forehead with it. "She should wake soon," he says. Burke asks Harrison "What's in that room? I tried to enter, but couldn't." Harrison says "Another world, another reality. Something triggered from Elizabeth's mind." Burke and Carolyn look inside and see a calendar dated 1946 and hear the young Liz and Jamison talking about Liz' upcoming marriage to Alan. As Liz begins to stir and awaken, the room suddenly goes dark again. Burke steps inside, and says "Gone...it's just gone! Vanished!" Harrison says "The hole in time closed as soon as she regained consciousness.... I know this sounds strange to you, Mr. Devlin, but it all makes perfect sense." Liz says "Where am I?" Carolyn looks at Harrison who gives her a signal to keep things calm. Carolyn tells Liz she had a bad dream. "I must be overtired from my trip," Liz says. Vicky leans over her and asks her if she's all right. Liz smiles and gives Vicky a hug. "I'm fine...I'm so happy to see you, I was worried..." Vicky says "Don't worry about me. I've....got someone else here who wants to see you. Someone we thought was gone. But he's not, he's back! " Liz wonders who, until Burke steps back out of the room and says "Hello, Liz. It's been a while." Liz is first shocked, but then smiles as Burke takes Vicky's hand. "Burke!" she says. "You're alive!" He smiles back at her.

Liz is overwhelmed by everything she sees and says she wants to rest. Burke and Vicky take her back to her room as Carolyn and Harrison follow. "Harrison!" Liz says. "I didn't even see you! How long have you been back?" Harrison tells her he "just came back for a short visit. I'm so glad it turned out to be when you got back from your honeymoon." We dissolve to Burke closing Liz' door, telling Vicky that she's gone to sleep. Vicky says that Carolyn and Harrison are downstairs. "Roger and David must be asleep," she adds. "I'm almost tempted to wake Roger up and tell him I'm a bad dream," Burke says. "I can't wait to see Davey... or is it David now? Now that he's five years older?" Vicky says "You'll have to ask him." Burke says "That room Liz was looking into. I saw a little of it before it went dark. I recognized the man in there, it was Jamison Collins, Roger and Liz' father. And then I realized who the young woman in there was. Elizabeth, only when she was much younger." Vicky says "Yes, Harrison told me. We see what our subconscious minds want us to see whenever other worlds become visible. That's why I saw a world where you needed me. Elizabeth saw a version of her own past, because of whatever was on her mind." Burke nods, and says "I had never noticed it before I looked into that room, but you look a lot like Elizabeth did when she was younger. I guess beauty tends to blend together after a while." Vicky takes Burke's hands and says "Actually, there's a much better reason for the resemblance than that. There's something else I need to tell you about myself in this world....who I am. I finally know." Burke raises an eyebrow. Downstairs, Harrison has told Carolyn why he has returned. "That makes a weird sort of sense," she says. "That we would see things repressed in our minds in those rooms. I saw a different world in one. One where my husband was still alive." Harrison says that "The most common thing would be for us to see something a part of us wishes for." Carolyn says "But this was different. He was dominating, didn't listen to me. I saw myself in that other world, but it wasn't who I am, or who I want to be." Harrison smiles and says "You got to see what the reality actually was, of something you thought would bring you happiness but actually wouldn't. Our wishes don't always bring us happiness, after all. Your mother saw a world in which she wouldn't have given up Vicky as a baby against her will, right when she was searching for Vicky and worrying about her. It all makes perfect sense." Carolyn says "How will you close those holes in time?" Harrison says that once he locates the source of "all the rifts" he can close it. "And it must be somewhere in this house." Carolyn asks "What would you see if you looked into one of those rooms?" Harrison shrugs, and says "I don't know." Carolyn says "I know what I'd see now, since I know what I want." Burke and Vicky enter the room as Carolyn continues "I'd see myself in the future as an accomplished author and professor. And I won't have to look inside that room to see it either, all I have to do is live my life and see it for real." Burke says "You sound so different than I remember you, Carolyn." Carolyn says "I've been through a lot, Burke. I'm not the teenager making a fool of herself over you." Burke says "Good. Don't be anyone's fool, ever." David walks in, saying "I couldn't sleep with all the talking, what's going...." and then he sees Burke and gasps.

"Hello, David," Burke says. David can't believe it, and asks Burke if he's a ghost. "No ghost, but it's an interesting story of how I got here," he answers. David runs up and hugs him, and tells him he doesn't care how he got there, as long as he's back. Vicky tells David she'll explain it all to him, and Harrison says "That might be the best idea." David sees Harrison and says "Cousin Harrison! When did you get back?" Harrison gleams at David a moment, then says "I was just passing through again, and thought I'd drop in for a little while. How have you been, David?" David says fine, and then marvels that he can't believe Burke is back. "Does my father know you're back?" David says. Burke laughs and says "Not yet, or we'd hear the screaming. But your Aunt Elizabeth knows, and Carolyn here. I'm interested in meeting Alan, too." David says "And Quentin, you should meet my cousin Quentin!" Vicky tells Burke that Quentin and David are very fond of each other, and Burke says "Then I'd be very happy to meet him." Carolyn says "We'll also have to tell Barnabas you're back. Oh, Vicky! Barnabas will be so happy for you!" Burke says "Yes...Barnabas. I'd very much like to see Barnabas again...." We dissolve to Barnabas, blowing out candles in the old house, getting ready to retire with that happenin' smoking jacket on. As he turns to climb the stairs, he suddenly faces Brian. "How dare you come in here!" Barnabas bellows. "Now, now, Barnabas," Brian says. "You should know by now that I can go anywhere I please. And your lovely, shall we say bewitching wife isn't here to protect you right now, is she?" Barnabas picks up a heavy candlestick and says "I can protect myself quite well, thank you." Brian says "Not against me. Not ever again." Barnabas swings the candlestick at Brian, who spins out of the way. When Barnabas turns around, Brian is gone. Barnabas looks around frantically for him, when he hears a familiar and horrifying noise - the beating of wings! Barnabas backs up towards the stairs, and then a large bat appears, flying closer and closer to him. He picks up his cane and swings it at the bat, yelling "I'll kill you in whatever form you take, Miller! Die!" He misses with a swing and the bat lands on his arm. Barnabas screams in pain and terror.