Friday, March 5, 2010

Episode 1500

Aired: Friday March 23, 1972

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Barnabas sits on the stairs looking very depressed as Brian stands over him. "You understand, now, don't you Mr. Collins?' Brian says. Barnabas only nods weakly. "Once again, you have underestimated me, and now you have lost your will as a result." Brian sneers. "How ironic it must feel for you, Barnabas, after all the others you've put into the position you are in now. A mindless servant, powerless to do anything other than my bidding." Barnabas gasps "But I don't understand! You are not a vampire! You only changed yourself into that....that creature!" Brian laughs. "How right you are! And it gives me great advantage to lack the vulnerabilities of a true vampire, yet possess much of the power associated with one. True, I can't dematerialize at will, but like a vampire who possesses one such as yourself, as long as I live you will do my bidding." Barnabas snarls "You're mortal... as long as you live might not be as long as you think." Brian replies "I am making great effort towards those ends. Even now, my plans for achieving true immortality are coming together. And not only is there nothing you can do to stop me, you are going to help me, whether you like it or not!" Brian laughs as Barnabas cannot fight him. Meanwhile, Roger enters the drawing room and finds Vicky. She tells Roger she's been waiting for him, and Roger wonders why. "Because someone very important to me has returned, and I wanted to tell you first, so that you wouldn't be shocked or react badly." Roger can't figure out why Vicky is acting this way, and says "Why are you being so absurd? Who could possibly have that effect on me?" Burke enters the room and says "I suppose I could, Roger." Roger drops his glass to the floor almost as fast as his jaw. Burke smiles and says "I'm back!"

Roger gasps "How? It's been years! How did it...." Burke says "It's a long story, and I won't bore you with it. Suffice to say that once I knew Vicky was here, I couldn't stay away." Roger snarls "Well, I cannot tell Vicky who she can and cannot be fond of, and though I must admit I'm happy for her that you're still alive, I..." Burke cuts him off and says "Charming as always. Roger, relax. Don't think of me as an enemy, please. I don't think of you as one." Roger says "I find that hard to believe, almost as hard to believe as you standing here right now." Burke says "Roger, I've been through a lot. A lot of things that made me really look at the value of life and death. And our arguments, our problems with each other, well, they don't really stack up against some of those things. Our fight seems so petty next to some of the things I've discovered are truly valuable. I don't care about those five years in prison, that's all in the past. I only care about the future. A future for Vicky and me, and whether or not either of us like it, you'll be part of that future. Maybe we might only be able to tolerate each other, but that'll be a start, don't you think?" Roger looks him over as Vicky takes Burke's hands. Roger sighs. "You certainly sound different. I never cease to amazed at what the passage of time can do. I don't want to fight with you anymore." Burke smiles and says that pleases him greatly, and Vicky thanks Roger since she was worried about how he'd feel about Burke returning. Roger says "Does he know all about you? Who you are?" Burke says "Yes, and I intend to marry her anyway." Roger knew it was coming, but still doesn't like hearing it.

Vicky is with Liz, asking her how she's feeling. Liz says she's fine, only she was shocked at what she saw in the west wing room. "It was like a strange dream....I saw myself and my father....only things were different..." Vicky says "A strange thing is happening in the west wing where our dreams and wishes become real for a few moments. Harrison says it's like that strange room in the east wing that Barnabas discovered." Liz says "I'd hate to have to close up that part of the house again. Poor Quentin, we'd have to move all of his things..." Vicky says that "Harrison thinks he might be able to stop the phenomena from happening. He's....studied such things." Liz is surprised and says "I wonder how you study such things. Maybe I shouldn't be asking. Carolyn wants to study the same kind of strange things in Europe. I hope she gets that scholarship. It would be such a good thing for her." Vicky says that Carolyn seems to know what her future will be. Liz says "And you? With Burke returned? What of your future?" Vicky says "You're a step ahead of me. I wanted to tell you before I told anyone else because I wanted your blessing. Burke has asked me to marry him." Liz tells Vicky "that's wonderful" and gives her a hug. "I wasn't sure how you'd react," Vicky says. Liz shrugs and says "There was a time when I hated him and he wanted to destroy this family out of revenge....there was even a time when it wouldn't have been my place to give such a blessing...but a lot of time has passed. And now, I think of the irony....that a man who considered himself my enemy will be marrying my.... daughter." Vicky says "It is strange." Liz says "Right when you were growing interested in how the business operates...I suppose now you won't pursue that...." Vicky says "I'm not sure. After all, someone will need to oversee any combined business operations of the Collinses and Burke Devlin. Why not Mrs. Burke Devlin?" Liz smiles at Vicky. In the west wing, Harrison has told Quentin why he has returned. "I sympathize with your problems, Harrison," Quentin says. "But we have some of our own here, now. Barnabas and I have an enemy who has been making trouble, a man named Brian Miller, who possesses some strange powers." Harrison nods, and says "I see...." Quentin thinks a moment, and says "Wait a moment. If you're from my future, you should know what happened between Miller and me. You could tell me what I need to do!" Harrison says "No, I'm afraid I cannot. If I got involved, I might alter what must happen in order to protect the world I live in." Quentin says "I know that's true, but it's still not the answer I want!" Harrison says "All I can tell you is that I cannot become involved. Things must happen the way they are meant to." Quentin nods, and then smiles. "Well, dear cousin, you came back in time to save us all once before. I'll assume that if you don't need to this time, we'll do all right by ourselves." Before Harrison can answer, there is a knock at the door. Quentin opens his door, and sees Burke. "Quentin Collins?" Burke says. Quentin says yes, and Burke introduces himself. "Harrison mentioned you," Quentin says. "A friend of Vicky's." Burke says "More than a friend. We're engaged." Quentin says "Well, that calls for celebration! We should go downstairs for a round of brandies." Burke says fine, and then says "I'm sorry to intrude on the two of you, but David insisted repeatedly that I meet you, and he's tough for me to turn down. He was very sure that we'd become good friends." Quentin grows curious. "David?" Burke says "Yes, David and I were very good friends before I went away long ago. I'm amazed at how big he's gotten. How much he's changed. Roger was never crazy about David's fondness for me, but there you are." Quentin laughs a little and says "I think David might have been right about us getting along. Let's go have that drink." The three of them leave Quentin's room, but as they head down the hallway, Quentin notices the door to the attic is open a crack. Harrison asks him if he's coming, and Quentin says "I'll be with you in a minute. Go on, I need to see something." Quentin runs up the staircase into the attic and sees the portrait gone. He looks around the empty room frantically.

Downstairs, Harrison and Burke are having a drink, wondering where Quentin is. Quentin runs down the hallway in a panic when David peeps out of his room. David asks Quentin what's wrong, and Quentin says "Nothing, forget it" but David follows him. Quentin runs down the stairs and grabs his coat. Burke asks him what's going on, and Quentin apologizes. "Something very important has come up, I have to go." Before Quentin can leave, Burke says "Can I help with anything?" Quentin stops and turns, and says "Thank you, but I really shouldn't involve you in this. Not after what Vicky went through to get you here. I can handle my enemies, and I promise you we'll be having that drink.... and many others together." Quentin goes out the door just as David comes down the stairs. "Where did he say he was going?" David asks. Burke says "He wouldn't say. But he seemed like he was in some trouble." David says "I'd better follow him." and gets his coat. Burke says "Whoa, David! Whoa! Quentin didn't want us following him, I think he wouldn't want you to be in any danger either." David says "You don't understand! I know how to help him, if it's what I think it is!" David runs out as Burke shouts for him to stop. After David is gone, Burke tells Harrison "Come on, we'd better go after David and bring him back here." Harrison puts his hand on Burke's shoulder and says "No, we shouldn't do that." Burke says "What are you talking about?" Harrison says "Vicky told you enough about me and my knowledge of time. You must trust me. David must go after Quentin. It's his destiny." Burke looks at Harrison and then at the doors, wondering what Harrison means. Meanwhile, at the old house, Quentin bangs on the door and then enters, looking for Barnabas, who isn't there. Quentin calls for him a couple of times, and there is no answer. Quentin notices something on the stairway, and a closer look reveals a few drops of blood. "Blood...." Quentin thinks. "Barnabas is in trouble too... I must find Angelique or Julia.....or else I'll have to face Brian alone...." Outside, Brian points towards the house as Barnabas, powerless and shaking with near tears in his eyes, walks towards the front steps holding a gun....