Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Episode 1507

Aired: Tuesday April 3, 1972

After a repeat of Monday's close and the titles, Julia reminds Maggie that Joe has "been in a comatose state for years since his breakdown." Maggie says she never could get him to recognize her "during my last stay here... but that will change." She reaches out and caresses his face, and he begins to blink. She takes his hand, and he slowly turns towards her and his face goes from a blank to recognizing her. "Maggie..." he says weakly. Julia gasps. "It's true... what Brian said is true... you can heal...." Maggie says "Yes... I can feel it...but it seems to come and go, I don't know how long it will last now that Brian is dead. That's why I made you rush me up here... if there was anything I could do with this, it was to get Joe back." Joe starts to smile as he looks at Maggie more. "Maggie! Maggie Evans! You're Maggie Evans!" he says, excitedly before turning towards Julia. "I know you too... you're a doctor..." Julia asks Joe if he knows her name, and after a few tries, he gets it. Julia tells Maggie that Joe will need a full examination, "and most likely some other treatments to return his mind completely to normal... especially to adjust to the time he's lost." Maggie tells Julia that "I want to stay here and help him. Maybe I can help other people here too, people who were once the way I was." Julia says "That might be possible, but I'd have to make sure that...." Maggie suddenly looks very seriously at Julia and sternly says "I think you'll arrange to allow me anything I wish, Dr. Hoffman. Especially with my memory completely restored. Completely." Julia shudders a bit, and answers "Of course... anything...." Maggie sighs, and says "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have used that tone." She looks back at Joe a moment and says "I can understand what your motives were....how you felt about Barnabas... it wasn't really his true nature anyway." Julia tells Maggie that she'll "get right to work" on her certification. Maggie and Joe hold hands and a smiling Maggie says "I think I'll like this... helping people. It beats serving them coffee." Her and Joe kiss. (awwwww!)

Barnabas sits alone in the old house reading a small book when there is knock at the door. He answers it, and finds Burke and Vicky have come to visit him. "Burke!" Barnabas says. "I'd heard all about your strange journey here... I'm so sorry I couldn't have been available earlier..." Burke says "It's okay, Barnabas. I'd heard about your strange journey recently as well." Barnabas says "Well, we needn't discuss that, it's all in the past. Nevertheless, I hope to avoid such misadventure in the future. Won't you both come in?" Vicky thanks him as Burke looks around. Barnabas notices this and says "It's been a while since you've been here, hasn't it? Yet somehow, this house never really changes that much." Burke says "No, I guess it doesn't. I wonder how different things really are." Vicky notices the book Barnabas has been reading. "An old volume of Poe?" she asks. Barnabas says "Yes... I find some of the poems comforting when I'm in a melancholy mood... please forgive me." Vicky sees where the book is open to "Annabell Lee" and begins to read a little before stopping. "I'm so sorry...." she says. "A poem about a lost love when..." Barnabas tells her it's all right. "Somehow, I'm still not quite convinced she's really gone." Burke says "I'm sorry I never got to meet her. She sounded like quite an interesting lady." Barnabas says "Yes... certainly the most unique women I've ever known. I... I don't know what I'll do without her." Barnabas winces a bit, and Vicky tells him that "you'll go on and you'll be all right. Remember how I thought I had lost Burke, and then I found him again. Perhaps one day, you'll find her again." Barnabas says "Perhaps." He smiles at Vicky and then tells Burke "You see that my lovely cousin who you're about to marry is an eternal optimist." Burke says "Yes, she certainly is. Always sees the good in people, although that can sometimes be a weakness." Vicky says "Oh, Burke!" Barnabas says "I suppose we all have some good in us." Burke counters with "Then you can also assume that all of us also have some evil." Barnabas thinks it over. "I suppose so, but it must be human nature to suppress such feelings. Otherwise, we wouldn't live in a civilized world." Burke says "Not much civilization here, with no electricity! I still don't understand how you can live like this." Barnabas says "I find it more comfortable." Burke says "Well, I'm sure Angelique found it comfortable as well... but I wonder what other modern women would accept living without modern conveniences." Barnabas says "I'm not sure. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Perhaps my destiny is to be alone." Vicky says "Barnabas, you're not alone, you have all your family and friends." Barnabas says he knows, and that he's "eternally grateful" for that. He apologizes for his "rudeness" and offers both Vicky and Burke a drink. As he goes to mix them (perhaps a claret cup?) Burke takes Vicky aside and quietly says "I think I owe you an apology." Vicky (of course) says "I don't understand." Burke tells Vicky "I came here thinking I'd see the same Barnabas I hated in my world, despite what you said. But you were right about him. There are some similarities, but that man couldn't ever harm anyone I care about." Vicky smiles at Burke, and Barnabas hands them both drinks.

Harrison sits down to tea with Stokes in Stokes' house. Stokes admits to having an "endless curiosity for the knowledge in your head, Harrison." Harrison tells Stokes that he can only interfere with 1972 in order to protect his own time many years in the future, and that revealing too much might alter that. "Have you ever considered the possibility of revealing too little?" Stokes asks him. Harrison says he hasn't, though "it's been very tempting to give people advice on some critical decisions of their lives, knowing what the probable outcomes would be." Stokes says "Yes... I can see where one would be so tempted, around one's own ancestors. For myself, I think I must resist the Pandora's Box of knowledge in your mind." Harrison takes a sip of tea and replies "Yes, but that doesn't mean I don't need your help to some degree." Stokes says he was wondering when they'd get around to that, since "I know you didn't only come over here to tempt me with your knowledge of the future." Harrison tells Stokes that the future "must be protected" by "sealing the holes in time appearing in the West Wing of Collinwood." Stokes answers that "I'm not sure how I can help you. From what I understand, your psychic link to that crystal in your ring should give you enough power to solve the problem." Harrison runs his hand over his ring and answers "Yes... I can close the doorways that have been opening, but I must be sure that the one remaining is the true path to my own world. And to do that.... I might have to interfere with some events here in the present. I was hoping to get some words of encouragement from you, that I would be doing the right thing." Stokes answers that without knowing the future, he'd be "very hard pressed to know whether or not you are doing the right thing." Harrison nods and says he knows. Stokes suggests that "your idea of sealing the source of the problem in the laboratory of Quentin Collins from 1840 is a good beginning. It's the second part of your plan I'm not so sure about." Harrison steps away for a moment and says "I know... it's a risky thing, but I think it will work." He adds with a smile "I think I know my ancestors well enough."

Carolyn is packing her things in her room while Vicky helps her. Vicky tells her how envious she is that Carolyn will be going to study in Europe. Carolyn laughs a little and says "You're about to get married, and you're envious of me?" Vicky goes on about all the "wonderful opportunities" that await Carolyn when Liz and Alan enter. Liz asks Carolyn if she's sure she needs to pack that much since "after all, you're not leaving here forever. At least I hope not." Carolyn tells her mother that she could "never leave permanently." Alan says he's not sure, since "Stokes was telling me how other graduates of the program have traveled all over the world. I wonder if you'd want to come back to a little New England seaport after seeing all that... after all, nothing too exciting ever happens here." Vicky tells Carolyn that "I feel so traditional... getting married while you're going off and pursuing a career... you might wind up being as distinguished as Professor Stokes!" Liz tells Vicky that there's a lot to be said for being married as well, to which Alan says "Hear, hear!" Carolyn smiles and says "Mother, I'm not ruling out marriage. I'm just putting it off for a while." Vicky says that she'd thought about going back to school as well, but "now that I'm getting married, there's really no need. I used to have dreams of becoming someone very important, I guess every little girl does. But if I'm important to Burke, that will be enough to keep me happy." Liz thinks about what Vicky has said.