Monday, March 15, 2010

Episode 1506

Aired: Monday April 2, 1972

In a repeat of Friday's close, Brian begins to move closer to Maggie as Barnabas realizes why. "Your wounds... you need to heal your wounds before you can evoke Josette and complete your unholy bargain!" Brian answers "Exactly. And now, Miss Evans can perform that simple service, once I command her to." Maggie says "I won't! I won't help you!" Brian struggles to take a step closer and says "You have no choice, Miss Evans!" Maggie suddenly frees one of her hands, and Brian moves closer to her as she can't help but move it towards him. He's about to get close enough when Angelique shouts "Brian Miller! Get away from her!" Brian turns to see Angelique and Julia standing only a few feet away from him in the howling wind. Angelique scowls a hateful scowl as she walks towards him. "And get away from my husband....." Brian tries to move closer to Maggie's outstretched hand as Barnabas gasps....

After the titles, Angelique sneers at Brian. "Your powers are much weaker now than they ever were... without the healing hand you gave Maggie, you are no match for me." Brian struggles to reach Maggie, but finds he cannot move. He looks over to Angelique desperately. "You!" he shouts over the wind. "You've....taken control....but you do not hold all the trumps my dear..." Brian turns his glare towards Barnabas and commands "You know what you must do now, Barnabas. You are still under my control." Barnabas gasps and begins to step towards the edge of the cliff. "No..." he wails. "Don't let it end this way..." Angelique waves her hand and Brian screams in pain as he grabs the bloody wound in his side. Barnabas stumbles a bit, but Julia is right there to grab him - she pulls him away from the edge of the cliff and down to the ground. "Julia..." he says. "You saved me... you saved me again." Julia answers "What else could I do?" Brian shouts angrily "No!" and makes a desperate lunge towards Barnabas. Before he can get there, Angelique has stepped in between them and grabs Brian by the throat. "You wanted to send them over the edge to be impaled on the rocks below to keep your bargain and attain immortality..." Brian chokes under Angelique's grip and cannot get free. "Perhaps I'll drain the very life from you that you find so precious..." she says. Brian takes a small knife out of his pocket, but Julia shouts "Angelique! Look out!" Brian swings the knife, but Angelique pushes him forward to get out of the way of the blow - and sends a screaming Brian over the edge of the cliff. Julia runs to the edge and grimaces. "He's....dead," she says.

Julia repeats that Brian is dead, and then turns to Barnabas. "You're free!" she says. Barnabas, out of breath, nods. "Maggie..." he says. "Make sure Maggie is all right... she was also under his power." Maggie stands and looks at her hands for a moment. Julia tells Barnabas that Maggie seems fine, but Maggie doesn't answer to her name. Julia turns back to a satisfied Angelique. "It's hard to believe he's finally dead," she says. Angelique replies "What happened to his body on the jagged rocks below is nothing compared to the agony his soul suffers now." Julia asks Angelique how she can be sure, and Angelique replies "He tried to cheat his master. It's one thing to outwit him, but quite another to attempt a theft." Suddenly in the howling wind, flames burst next to some nearby rocks. As he did before, Diablos steps from the circle of flame. "How true your words are, Angelique. And how timely, now that I have come to complete our own bargain." Julia says "You got what you wanted! Brian Miller is dead and his soul is yours." Diablos answers "Indeed Brian Miller is mine forever, and will learn the price of attempting to cheat me. But there is another bargain, one for a much more precious soul." Julia looks at Maggie and then back at Angelique. "No..." Julia says. "Angelique! You didn't!" Angelique snaps "Quiet, Julia! This is none of your concern!" Julia yells "You can't let him take Maggie! Have you lost your mind? Barnabas would never..." Angelique shouts "That's enough!" Diablos laughs. "Maggie Evans was the vessel of Josette but is no longer.... the spirit of Josette was freed when Brian Miller was destroyed," he says. "So you too have broken your promise, my Angelique. Unless you are prepared to offer the innocence of Maggie Evans in exchange for the love of Josette Du Pres.... a meager substitute but an innocent soul nonetheless... Or perhaps instead as your punishment I shall claim what you desire yourself... I shall take Barnabas Collins to join Brian Miller in my realm." Barnabas shouts "No! You cannot!" Angelique says "I have not broken my bargain with you.... it is true Josette Du Pres has been freed and her spirit has returned to the land of the dead when I destroyed Brian. But you shall not claim Barnabas. I have not broken my bargain with you. I promised you the soul of Barnabas' beloved." Diablos says "And Josette DuPres is gone." Angelique answers "But I am here... and I am Barnabas' beloved. You will not harm Maggie at all, because you have me to complete our bargain." Barnabas shouts "Angelique! No! You cannot sacrifice yourself like this!" He begins to stand up and approach them, but Angelique waves him back. "If Maggie were destroyed, you'd never forgive yourself or me... it would be poisonous to our love forever. I cannot let it go on any longer. This is the only way." Barnabas says "But what will this bring? You'll be destroyed! I cannot bear to lose you again... not after all this time." Angelique sighs and smiles at Barnabas' innocence. "Barnabas... after all these years and everything we've been through....you should know more than anyone that my death can never keep me away from you." She suddenly turns to Diablos and announces "I am ready." Barnabas leaps towards her, but is stopped by a blinding flash of fire that consumes both Angelique and Diablos. There is a scream from Angelique that fades into the whistling of the howling wind as she vanishes in front of Barnabas' teary eyes. Barnabas fruitlessly scratches the ground where Angelique stood and lets the handful of ashy dust run from his hands, scattering it into the wind. "She's gone...she's gone..." he says tearfully as Julia looks on.

Barnabas runs his hands through the ashy dust where Angelique stood, crying and moaning. Julia asks Maggie if she's all right, and Maggie says she is "now that I know everything." Julia looks concerned and says "You remember.... everything?" Maggie says "Yes. I know all about Barnabas.... and I've forgiven him." Julia sighs with relief, but Maggie looks at Barnabas grasping with futility at the dust and looking over the cliff at the waves crashing on the rocks. "Fate hasn't forgiven him yet though, Julia," she adds. Julia says "I'll... I'll see to him. I'll look after him." Maggie says "You always do, don't you Julia? Always look after him...." Julia replies "Maggie, are you sure you're feeling all right? You've just been through a terrifying ordeal... you might need some medical treatment." Maggie looks at her hands for a moment, and answers "I'm fine. I feel absolutely fine. I want you to take me to Windcliff. You must take me to Windcliff immediately." Julia is confused, and asks "Maggie, if you're feeling fine, why do you want to go to Windcliff?" Maggie snaps "Julia, don't argue with me, just get your car. You're taking me to Windcliff." Julia watches Barnabas, who is still somber as he looks over the waves. "Gone..." he says. "Every time... with or without the curse.... my love only means destruction...." Maggie walks by Julia straight to Barnabas. As he continues to sob, she caresses his hair gently. He looks up, and Maggie offers her hand to him. Barnabas takes her hand and stands, and Maggie puts both her hands onto his chest. "Don't say that, Barnabas. You will go on and find the happiness that has eluded you throughout the years." She smiles at him, and he looks at her wondering before she turns back to Julia and demands once again to be taken to Windcliff. Julia asks Barnabas if he'll be all right, and he touches where Maggie had touched him. "Yes..." he says. "I don't understand it, but somehow I know I will..." Julia looks at Maggie.

At the old house, Julia leads Barnabas inside, where he says he'll wait for her after she takes Maggie to Windcliff. "I have...a lot to think about," he says. Julia leaves and asks Maggie "What did you do?" Maggie only repeats her demand to be taken to Windcliff. Julia asks why when there's nothing wrong, and Maggie tells Julia not to give her an argument. We cut to Windcliff, where we find Willie sweeping up the main lobby. Julia enters and Willie runs to her. Julia says "Willie! You're up and about... the last time I checked, you were still....." Willie says "Yeah, I know...I was in bad shape, but it'll take more than that to keep old Willie down, you know? I been doin' better." Julia says that's good to hear, and Willie asks her what she's doing there and if everything is still okay back at Collinwood. Julia answers that "There was a crisis...but it seems to have passed." Willie asks Julia if she'll be spending more time at Windcliff since "I kinda like workin' around here. They let me rebuild some of the steps out back, and I was thinking that this place could use a groundskeeper of sorts, I was meanin' to talk to ya about that..." Julia tells Willie that "It would be possible for you to keep working here, while your treatment progressed. I see no harm in it." Willie thanks her, and adds that he'd like to continue "even after I'm all better. I could use the money... I met this other patient, and she...well...." Julia smiles and says she understands, when Maggie comes in, in a rush. Willie sees her and gasps "Maggie! What are you doing here? You're all right, aren't you, you're all right?" Maggie says "Yes, Willie, I'm fine. What about you, are you doing better?" Willie gives her a quick recap of his recovery, and Maggie tells him "That's good, Willie. You were once very kind to me... I haven't forgotten." She turns to Julia and says "But I didn't come here to see Willie. There's someone else." Julia wonders who as we cut to a room where we see a patient from the back looking out a window, motionless. The door opens. Maggie and Julia enter, and Julia says "He's been like this since we admitted him years ago... I don't know what you think..." Maggie snaps "It doesn't matter what you know. It only matters what I feel." She walks over to the patient, and as we see him, it's a catatonic Joe Haskell (Joel Crothers), sitting and staring out the window blankly. "Joe..." Maggie says tearfully.