Friday, April 24, 2009

Episode 1275

Aired: Friday May 14, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Quentin moves towards Carolyn, but she steps aside into another room and is gone. There is a noise from behind David, so Quentin quickly moves back towards him and tells him to "look out." David looks around, but there is nothing there. There are several more noises from all directions that rattle both Quentin and David, so Quentin grabs David's hand and quickly leads him out of the window they snuck in through.

At the old house, Barnabas, Julia, Quentin & David await the dusk with dread. Quentin hands everyone a silver cross and says that before coming back, he and David had stopped in town to "get these and other precautions." David has a bag filled with garlic, which Julia and he begin to spread around the perimeter of the house. "If the book I read was right," David explains, "it should make the entire old house a safe haven!" Julia comments on how smart David is, and the two of them begin to work outside. "I hope you don't mind all of us as house guests, Barnabas," Quentin says facetiously. "I hope David's book is correct," Barnabas says. "Though I know how strong the lust for blood can be. They might not be able to cross that threshold, but they will call upon every power they can to make us weaken. This will not be good night for sleeping." Quentin looks out the window as the sun begins to set.

It's night in the old house, and everyone is nervous. Quentin and David are trying to play chess as Barnabas reads and Julia paces. Every noise outside causes someone to react, but when dogs begin howling, they all sit up and take notice. David gets scared and says he wants to go upstairs to Josette's room where Daphne is sleeping. Quentin thinks this will be okay, and right after David goes upstairs, there is a knock at the door. Barnabas answers, and is Carolyn. "I have a message for Quentin," she says coyly. "Tell me now," Quentin snaps. "May I come in? Or are you all scared of me too? I can't get past the garlic, you'll have to move it, please." Carolyn says. Barnabas answers "You know we can't do that. You should be the one afraid, Carolyn. You are submitting to a power that could destroy you. You've got to fight it!" Carolyn brushes him off as we cut to upstairs in Josette's room. Daphne is asleep, and David is looking at Josette's portrait, but he hears some tapping at the window. He hears Roxanne's voice calling to him "David.... David...." and begins to walk, trancelike, towards the window. He starts to reach out to open it.

David is at the window, and swings it open. Roxanne is floating outside, and smiles gently at him, still calling "David.... David...." David looks at her and says "You're so pretty...." Roxanne answers "Thank you, David. I remember when someone just like you said things like that to me. So long ago. You are the image of him, David, or at least you will be in a few short years. His name was Jamieson Collins. I thought he loved me until he left me. But now you can have another chance. Do you think I'm pretty?" David, still entranced, simply nods. Roxanne smiles. "Things would have been so different if you hadn't left me, Jamieson. So different and so wonderful. Come to me now, and I will make up for all the years we've been apart...." David starts to walk towards Roxanne, but suddenly Roxanne screams and averts her eyes. David snaps out of his trance, and looks behind him to see Daphne holding the silver cross on Roxanne.

Downstairs, Barnabas and company hear the scream from upstairs. Quentin hollers "What is going on up there?" David and Daphne run downstairs. David tells Quentin how Daphne saved him from Roxanne and how he almost went to her. Daphne says that she has locked the window upstairs. Quentin looks at Carolyn angrily and snaps "Tell your master that his diversion failed. Now get out of here!" Carolyn looks confused, but then Quentin shoves her back and slams the front door. Quentin thanks Daphne for what she did, and Daphne says she's glad she did it, since it proves to her that she's free of Anderson's power. Julia is happy to hear this. Barnabas asks David if Roxanne said anything to him, and David says "I can't remember all of it, but she called me Jamieson and said that she thought I loved her. I think she thought I was my grandfather! Why would she think that?" Barnabas and Quentin look at each other, intrigued.