Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Episode 1283

Aired: Wednesday May 26, 1971

After a replay of Tuesday's close from the point where Selby returns to the old house and the titles, Selby presses Barnabas about the portrait, but Barnabas assures him that it's in a very safe place. "I'd feel better if I could just see it and make sure," Selby says slyly, but Barnabas answers "You mean you didn't find a safe place for it last night before you went to Collinwood?" Selby, looking away from Barnabas, starts thinking fast. "Well, I...thought I did. But now I'm not so sure." Barnabas grows more confident in his deception and adds "You seemed fairly confident last night when you told Julia and myself that you had found the perfect hiding place. I'm sure you were right, and besides, Anderson could not find it in the daytime anyway." "I guess you're right," a defeated Selby says quietly. "Shall we go?" Julia asks. Selby, still trying to figure out how to get the portrait, joins them on their way out.

The three arrive at Collinwood, where Barnabas warns Julia that "even though Anderson is gone, the family may still be under Roxanne's influence. We must be careful. She could still be in this house." Selby, overhearing this, looks at Barnabas and bluntly asks him if he remembers any of his own hiding places in Collinwood that Roxanne may be using. Barnabas answers that "the only time I found solace here was when my father put me in the tower room in 1795. There are no other coffins here unless Roxanne and Anderson brought them." Selby says "Of course," but then we hear him thinking "How will I find where Quentin dematerialized to? Barnabas Collins doesn't seem to know. I may need more help from dear Roxanne after all...." Selby says he will search Collinwood for Roxanne just as Elizabeth comes downstairs. She looks at the three of them and says "Well, good morning. What's this about searching Collinwood for Roxanne?"

The group stands silent from Liz's question, Selby glaring at her, but then she follows it up with "Who is Roxanne? And Barnabas! Where have you been keeping yourself! Come, you must have breakfast with us this morning." Barnabas and Julia look at each other and then Barnabas asks Liz "I've been busy with some things, dear cousin, but I had heard that there were some problems with Professor Anderson, and I wanted to make sure you were all right." Liz looks confused and answers "I don't know what you mean. I haven't even met Carolyn's professor. For some reason, I remember inviting him over to dinner, but I don't think he ever showed up. Well, no matter. I'll tell Mrs. Johnson that you'll be staying for breakfast." Liz exits, and Julia says "Barnabas, she has no memory of Anderson at all!" Barnabas says "Yes, it would seem that his influence here has passed. I guess you managed to break his control when you chased him from Collinwood, Quentin." Selby nods, and adds "Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling quite famished. I think I will get an early start on breakfast." After he follows Liz, Barnabas stops Julia from following and says to her quietly "Petofi may no longer be a vampire, but he may still be controlling the people in this house. We need to find out why." Julia agrees.

Barnabas and Julia return to the old house at dusk. They comment how they managed to throw Selby/Petofi off the trail today, but they will need to find some way of saving Quentin and possibly the family if they are still under Petofi's power. The bookcase opens and Storm comes out. "Quentin!" Barnabas says. "How do you feel?" Storm hmphs, and answers "I've felt better. Did you find anything out during the day?" Julia answers "We think Petofi is still controlling the family. He's still searching for your portrait." Storm laughs "His insurance policy! Without it, he's practically right back where he started, only under a different curse than the one he left me with." Julia looks at Storm and says "Yes, but what Petofi doesn't know is that your curse is curable." Storm looks at her curiously, and Julia continues "If I could change Barnabas' condition with my series of injections, perhaps I could do the same for you." Storm/Quentin considers this possibility. (It is interesting to note that this particular plot angle was introduced in order to gain some leverage as David Selby was re-negotiating his contract at this time)