Friday, May 15, 2009

Episode 1290

Aired: Friday June 4, 1971

Grayson Hall's voiceover: "It is a night of terror at Collinwood. A lifelong enemy of Quentin Collins has stolen his body and has discovered the hiding place of the portrait that keeps him immortal. Quentin and those who wish to save him are now at the mercy of this evil man, whose powers seem insurmountable...."

Selby holds the gun on Storm with a smile and says "Well, I wasn't expecting it to be this easy, but Mr. Shaw has certainly helped matters along." Storm snaps "You won't kill me, Petofi. You're like a spoiled cat who never tires of playing with its food. Besides, you still need me alive and you know it." Selby laughs, and answers "No longer, my boy! I know where your portrait is. Once I finish with my business here, I will retrieve it and be on my way." Barnabas, Julia, and Storm contemplate this.

After the titles, Selby has marched Storm, Barnabas & Julia back into the mausoleum. Storm yells at Selby "What have you done to Daphne? I swear, Petofi, death will not keep me from coming after you if you harm her..." Selby answers "I haven't done anything to her. Since you are so smitten with her, you may wish to thank me for bringing her to this place at all. But now with Roxanne destroyed by Mr. Shaw, her purpose in this world seems quite rudderless at the moment." Selby takes Daphne's scarf out of his pocket and handles in momentarily before stuffing it back in. Barnabas says "Daphne's scarf. You were going to give it to Roxanne to wear. And then they would have switched bodies." Selby nods and answers "Your logic is impressive, Barnabas. That's exactly the arrangement I had worked out with her. But now I suppose our Miss Hopkins will stay Miss Hopkins for the time being." Storm angrily snaps "You will never have her!" Selby laughs and answers "I do not share your interest in Miss Hopkins, my dear Quentin. I have but one love in my life, and that love is Petofi!" Storm looks at Barnabas and Julia for a moment and says "Let them go. It's me you want. Fine. You can have me. Take my portrait and kill me for all I care. Just leave my friends alone and never return here!" Selby answers "You're hardly in a position to ask for anything. And besides, I have a matter to work out with Mr. Barnabas Collins. A matter of punishment for interfering in my plans!" As Selby laughs, we hear the squealing of the bat again, Barnabas tries to see where it is, but he is too late. It appears right next to him and bites him in the neck. Barnabas screams and falls to the floor. Julia rushes to his side and feels for a pulse. She looks up at Storm and says shuddering "He's dead! Barnabas is....dead!"

Julia is crouched over Barnabas' body as Selby says "He won't stay dead very long, my dear doctor. I think you know quite well what will happen very very soon." Julia angrily yells at Selby "You inhuman monster! I will destroy you! I swear I will destroy you!" Selby smiles and says "I really don't see how, my dear." Storm tries to comfort Julia, saying "I know how you felt about him," to which Julia answers "I'll still feel that way after he becomes..." but can't finish the sentence. Selby mocks her with "This romantic scene is touching my heart." Storm yells "Why don't you just kill me and get it over with? You know that gun has silver bullets in it!" Barnabas begins to stir a bit as Selby says "Yes, I know that very well Quentin." Barnabas opens his eyes and looks around. He's breathing heavy, and says "This room.... the night... everything is sharper, brighter.... the sounds, I can hear for miles..." He brings his hands to his mouth and then feels his fangs and wails "Nooooooo!"

Barnabas is still wailing "Nooooo" over his new existence as Selby holds the gun on both him and Storm. "Oh yes, Mr. Collins," Selby says. "Your payment in full for trying to alter my plans. You didn't think I knew what your greatest fear was?" Barnabas, nearly out of breath says "I'll kill you, Petofi! I swear I'll kill you!" Selby answers "I don't think you will, Barnabas. I think you will be very occupied with something else." We hear the sound of a rooster crowing as the room begins to get a little lighter. "It's nearly dawn," Selby says. Barnabas looks nervously and repeats "Dawn?" Selby answers "Yes, it will be sunrise in only a few more moments. And here we have Quentin and Barnabas Collins, two vampires desperate to find refuge from the dawn... and only one coffin available. I think I'll keep my pistol fixed on you both while I amuse myself watching you fight to the death for that coffin!" Selby laughs as Storm and Barnabas look at each other.