Monday, July 13, 2009

Episode 1331

Aired: Monday August 2, 1971

In a replay of Friday's close, Angelique, following Jeremiah's ghost, approaches the outside of the Eagle Hill cemetery thinking "Do you return to your grave each night? No, you can't. Why wouldn't you stay there?" She follows inside, as we see Jeremiah walk to the foot of his grave before stopping. Angelique watches him for a moment, and then we hear the sound of someone else approaching. Angelique peers from behind a tree to see who it is - and then we see the familiar smiling face of Nicholas Blair standing in front of Jeremiah, chuckling quietly to himself. Angelique's eyes are open wide as she sees this, thinking "Nicholas! Nicholas Blair!"

After the titles, Angelique watches as Nicholas commands Jeremiah "You are in my power. I have brought you back from the land of the dead, and I will summon you again. Return to your grave for now, Jeremiah....return....." Jeremiah starts to fade away into nothingness. Angelique thinks "Nicholas has raised Jeremiah. Perhaps it was even he who controlled him back in 1795....but for what purpose? Why does Nicholas want to do this?" Angelique steps on a branch, and the sound of the crack gets Nicholas' attention. He calls "Who is there?" as Angelique starts to run away. Nicholas catches a glimpse of her blonde hair and smiles. He calls to her "Angelique! Why do you run from me? After all, am I not your brother?" He begins to laugh as Angelique continues to run, but as she turns a corner, Nicholas suddenly is in front of her. He grabs her by the shoulders and says "Please, my dear. Don't leave me alone out here. I find graveyards positively frightening!" Back at Collinwood, Roger is going over some books in the study when Alan enters. For the first time that we've seen, Roger smiles at him and offers him a drink. Alan asks Roger how his work is going, and Roger complains about the "drudgery" of it all. Alan says "I have a feeling you have a good sense of the real estate market in Collinwood." Roger says he thinks he does, and asks Alan why. Alan answers that he's looking for office space, since he's thinking of moving his practice here.

Angelique demands to know why Nicholas has raised Jeremiah. Nicholas laughs and says "Jeremiah? Who would that be?" Angelique says "You know very well what I mean," with a scowl. "Barnabas told me you were dead," she adds. "Something I still owe him for," Nicholas answers. "But our master has taken good care of me. You remember our master, don't you my dear?" Angelique turns away from him and says "That is no longer my life, Nicholas. I have what I want now. And if you remember, what I have now is what your master promised would make me human again." Nicholas laughs, and answers "You are making the mistake of thinking that everything is permanent." He begins to walk around her as he adds "You should know better than anyone else how quickly things can change, especially after you arrived here through your tricks of time." Angelique is shocked to hear that he knows this, but he continues "Those are secrets I would very much like to know more about, my dear." Angelique answers that she will not make any "deals" with him, and that "despite whatever powers the master has given you, I will find a way to stop you. What powers have you got this time, Nicholas? And is it your last time? Your last chance on Earth before your master tires of you and your failures?" Nicholas turns to glare angrily at her. "Oh, you have not lost your insolence, have you?" She sneers at him.

Roger asks Alan why he would give up such a "thriving practice in Boston," and Alan answers that he can still consult cases in Boston, and that he was thinking of moving towards retirement anyway. Roger asks him if that's really the only reason, and Alan smiles and answers "Well, I also want to stay close to Liz. Spending time with her these past few weeks has been wonderful. And, there's really no medical reason for me to continue on here. I suppose you'll be pleased to know that her recovery is complete. She'll be fine now." Roger says he's happy to hear that. Alan says that he thinks it "would be more proper" for him to "find some property in town" so that he won't impose on the family anymore. Roger says "Nonsense!" and invites him to stay at Collinwood until he "contacts some property agents about where you'd like to set your offices up." Alan thanks him for his help.

Angelique is still needling Nicholas about all the times he's failed "his master" and Nicholas demands that she be silent. She goes on how she is free from obligations to "dark forces" since her "success in love" has "mastered" them. He scowls at her that "since you are now mortal, you have much to fear from me." She simply says "Do I?" and begins to walk away. Nicholas thinks to himself "Oh yes, you do my dear.....and I think it's time you realized that...." He walks back to Jeremiah's grave as a flash of lightning lights the stone. "Jeremiah Collins!" he calls. "I have need of you....I demand that you appear to me...." With another flash of lightning, Jeremiah's ghost materializes. Nicholas looks at him and simply says "Fetch her for me." Jeremiah leaves as Nicholas smiles. In another part of the woods, Angelique is moving back towards the old house thinking "I must tell Barnabas about Nicholas! Certainly he and the family can help me...." but as she moves around a tree, she suddenly faces Jeremiah's ghost, who lunges at her, grabbing her by the arms. She starts to scream.