Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Episode 1342

Aired: Tuesday August 17, 1971

Liz and Alan enter the house and are hanging up their coats as Carolyn comes downstairs. Carolyn tells Liz "you won't believe what has happened!" Liz wonders what it can be, and Carolyn tells her that it will make her very happy. Alan says "by all means tell us both then!" Carolyn says that it will be better to show them, and Vicky comes through the doors and begins to walk down the stairs. Liz gasps in disbelief, and says "Vicky!" Vicky says hello while Alan looks on.

After the titles, Liz says she can't believe it's Vicky, but Vicky says "it's really me" and the two hug. Vicky looks at Alan and says "Hello, you must be Alan" and shakes his hand. He says "Yes, I'm Doctor Alan Slater. I guess you've heard about me, but I know nothing of you, Miss....." Carolyn says "This is Vicky, she was governess here some years ago. She.....left for a while, but now she is back." Liz looks at Vicky and says "How? How did you find your way back?" Alan is confused over this question, and Vicky answers "I'm not sure, Mrs. Stoddard. But I am back, and hopefully, you'll let me stay." Liz gives her another hug and says "Of course! Of course I will... there's so much that's happened here, there's so much for you to catch up on." They all go into the drawing room as Carolyn says "Well, she's met Quentin and Daphne, mother." Liz says "Yes, Quentin came to us a couple of years ago and we adore him. Also Vicky, you should know that I was quite ill for a while, but thanks to Alan I am now perfectly fine." Carolyn chimes in with "Actually, mother has known Alan for a long time. Alan used to live here at Collinwood many years ago." Liz says "You make me sound so old, Carolyn." Carolyn says she didn't mean it that way. Liz asks Carolyn if Barnabas knows Vicky is back, and Vicky says "Oh, yes, I would so much like to see Barnabas!" Carolyn looks at Liz and says "I haven't told her yet." Vicky wonders what this means.

Liz tells Carolyn that "Vicky should know, you know how she feels about Barnabas." Vicky asks what is wrong, and Liz takes Vicky to the couch and sits her down. "There's nothing wrong, Vicky. It's just that...in the time you've been gone, Barnabas has.....well....." as Liz hems and haws, Vicky asks Carolyn what it is. Carolyn says "Mother, we have to tell her." Liz sighs, and says "Vicky, Barnabas is married now. He was married recently in a lovely wedding at the old house." Vicky has mixed feelings about this, and says "Married? Oh....oh, Mrs. Stoddard, you didn't have to be afraid to tell me. I'm very happy for Barnabas. He always seemed so lonely in a way." After a beat, Vicky suddenly asks "Was it Julia? Did he marry Julia Hoffman? It seemed the two of them were inseparable sometimes." Carolyn says "No, he married a women he knew in England years ago. Her name is Angelique. She's very nice..." Vicky goes into a panic and says "Angelique! No! It's can't be! It can't be Angelique!" Liz asks Vicky what's wrong, and Vicky suddenly snaps out of it and says "I don't know. I don't know why I had that reaction." Liz asks Vicky why she got so upset, and Vicky says there was something about "that name" that frightened her. Vicky says she must go to the old house and see Barnabas. Vicky puts on her coat and leaves while Liz wonders aloud why Vicky was suddenly so upset. Carolyn says perhaps it's because she still loves Barnabas, and Alan looks at Liz and says "I think you need to tell me much more about this Vicky Winters." Liz weighs this idea. Meanwhile at the old house, Barnabas is sitting and reading when Willie arrives, frantic. He runs to Barnabas and tells him "I gotta talk to ya! I gotta talk to ya right now!" Barnabas tells Willie to calm down. Willie says "Where's Angelique? Is she here?" Barnabas says no, that Angelique went out for a little while. Willie starts to agonize over "I can't believe what he can do. It's gotta be him! He's gotta be the one who did it!" Barnabas says "Willie, what are you talking about? You're not making any sense!" Willie says "Harrison! Harrison, Barnabas! He's got powers, he got...." but before he can finish, there's a knock at the door. Barnabas opens the door and sees Vicky. "Hello, Barnabas," she says. "Vicky!" he gasps in amazement.

Vicky enters the old house and Barnabas asks her how she came back. "I saw you fade into the past," he says, "with Peter Bradford." Vicky says she knows, but cannot remember anything too clearly "other than waking up in the woods and being found by Harrison." "Harrison!" Barnabas says. "Yes, your cousin from New York. He's quite charming. He found me in the woods and took me back to Collinwood." "I see," Barnabas says, leading Vicky inside. "Willie, is that what you were trying to tell me just now? That Harrison found Vicky in the woods?" Willie nervously says yes, and Barnabas smiles at him and simply says "Thank you, Willie. If you could leave us alone now. But we shall talk later." Willie calms himself a little and says "Okay, Barnabas. Whatever you say" before leaving. "Vicky, I'm so pleased to see you back! I was so worried after you disappeared. None of us thought we'd ever see you again," Barnabas says. "I don't remember too much of what happened to me in the past, Barnabas. I only remember bits and pieces of things....of Peter Bradford, of the Collinsport jail (or gaol, if you must).... I also remember knowing your ancestor," Vicky says. Barnabas gets nervous, but Vicky continues "He was very much like you, Barnabas. He was kind and very considerate to me." She starts to remember more and continues "Everyone thought he had died of some fever, but he didn't.... he saved Peter and me." Vicky laughs a bit and Barnabas asks her what is amusing. Vicky answers "Well, your ancestor. If he had died of a fever and not survived and gone to England, how would you be here?" Barnabas smiles and says "That's very true." "Carolyn told me you were married now, Barnabas." Vicky continues. Barnabas answers "Yes. I'm also very happy." Vicky forces a smile and says she's happy for Barnabas too, and adds "But there's something I don't understand. Your wife's name is Angelique. Why do I know that name, Barnabas?" Barnabas doesn't like this question.

"I have no idea," Barnabas says. "Perhaps you knew someone else with that name." Vicky says that might be it, and then looks around commenting on how much she missed the old house. "You are always welcome here," Barnabas says. "Have you met everyone new to Collinwood as well?" She says yes, and that they're very nice. "I suppose all that's left is for me to meet Angelique." Barnabas gets a little more nervous and forces a smile, saying "Yes, I suppose there is." He adds "Actually, I was about to go to Collinwood to find Julia. Can I walk you back there?" Vicky says thank you, and the two leave. Barnabas and Vicky walk through the woods, and Vicky stops a moment and starts to remember running through the woods, away from her pursuers. Barnabas asks her how much she remembers from the past, and in frustration, Vicky says "I can't put it all together! It's all fragmented!" Barnabas puts his hand on her shoulder and tells her that it will be all right, "perhaps Dr. Hoffman can help you recover your memory." Vicky asks if he really things so, and he says they should go to Collinwood and find out. They walk away together smiling, and then from behind them, walking quietly in the woods, is Angelique. We hear her thinking "Victoria Winters! It really is you! How did you ever find your way back here.... and back to my husband?" She takes another step, and picks up a branch from the ground. She says aloud with a snarl "Hear me, Victoria Winters. You will never take my husband from me. Never!" while snapping the branch in her hands.